Rich's Rugger Round-up (8th November 2005)

Once upon a time the Sunbury Centre producd match previews and reports so you'll find all our old ones here ...

Rich's Rugger Round-up (8th November 2005)

by Rich H on Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:39 pm

A summary of results from clubs in and around the Reading area. To correct inaccuracies, fill in missing results or add a team for weekly inclusion, please contact me at richard@4landscaping.co.uk (for some reason the post comes up with _at_ rather than the symbol but you know what to do!)

Reading

Reading I’s put a smile on coach and former Scotland lock Alistair McHarg’s face as they recorded a much-needed win after a poor start to the season with a 28-12 victory at Holme Park over local rivals Bracknell.

Reading II’s faced London Scottish away (remember them?) in the Canterbury Shield – result not in.

Reading IV’s four game winning-run ended when they met fellow title chasers Basingstoke IV’s at home in their TVIL Div B match. Final score 8-12. Basingstoke go top with Reading second.

Reading Vets played a friendly against Camberley III’s at home and comprehensively stuffed them 5-0.

Redingensians

Redingensians away to Tadley – result not in.

‘Ensians II’s were crushed by Henley Wanderers II’s 0-29 in the TVIL Div A top of the table crunch match at the Old Bath Road ground. The result means the hosts are pushed into second place by the visitors on points difference.

The III’s, also at home, were shaded 7-10 by Tadley II’s. This sees them drop to 6th in the 8 team table while Tadley rise to 4th.

There was some joy for the social sides, though, as the IV’s beat Henley Wanderers III’s by 22-10 and the Vets recorded an excellent 17-0 against Hungerford II’s

Reading Abbey

1st XV – no fixture.

Reading Abbey II’s travelled to Phoenix for a friendly and came away with hard-fought 12-10 win to boost a poor start to the season and double the number of W’s in their results column.

Reading Abbey III’s – result not in.

Reading Abbey IV’s hosted Shire Hall II’s, who are seen only slightly more frequently than unicorns, in a TVIL Div D clash and took the spoils 24-7.

Tadley

Tadley I’s took a well-earned break after their 75-0 beating of Corsham in the previous week’s league encounter.

Tadley II’s travelled to Old Bath Road and shaded Redingensians 10-7 in the TVIL Div B

Tadley III’s TVIL Div D league match against Drifters was postponed.

Henley Wanderers

Henley Wanderers I’s – result/fixture not in.

Henley Wanderers II’s made the short journey to Redingensians to play the host’s II’s and made the trip worthwhile by ‘nilling’ their opponents. The final score of 0-29 sees the ‘Hoorays’ go top of TVIL Div A.

Unfortunately for the III’s, their home match against ‘Ensians was not nearly as profitable as they went down 10-22.

Shire Hall

Shire Hall I’s v Hungerford I’s (friendly) – result not in

Shire Hall II’s finally got a side together to debut in the 05/06 TVIL Div D season and made the long trip to the other side of Reading to face Reading Abbey IV’s at Rose Hill. Sadly the trip home was longer as they went down 24-7

Newbury

Newbury I’s faced Coventry for the second time in as many weeks and again failed by the narrowest of margins to get the result, this time by 31-32 to break hearts at Monks Lane.

Newbury II’s travelled to Blackheath for a Canterbury Shield match – result not in.

Newbury III’s – no fixture

There was some joy in the clubhouse however as the Newbury Roebucks shaded High Wycombe IV’s 60-0.

Basingstoke RFC

'Stoke I's kept up the pressure at the top of South West 1 with a solid home win against struggling Oxford Harlequins. The North Hampshire men are 2 points from top after running out 38-9 winners.

Basingstoke II's faced Tabard at home - result not in

Basingstoke III's - no result/fixture

Basingstoke IV's travelled to Sonning to face Reading IV's and came away with TVIL Div B points winning 8-12.
Last edited by Rich H on Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich H

Well done Rich...!

by AlecW on Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:01 pm

That is a great review...!

Suppose you realise the extent of the rod you have made for your own back now?

8)
AlecW
AlecW

by dom_pedro on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:10 pm

Rich the _at_ stuff is my doing ... it's a small attempt to stop spam. Not sure how effective it is but everyone should be able to work out your address from it and clicking on the link will give them the correct address too. People can also use the 'personal message' facility of this 'ere site (where it says "You have no new messages").

Many thanks for the roundup Rich.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by JonnyC on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:45 pm

Rich H,

You should include Basingstoke RFC in your roundup.

Here's their match report vs Oxford Quins....

Basingstoke 1st XV 38 v 9 Oxford Harlequins

'Stoke struggled for well over half the game before beating a spirited Oxford Harlequins side comfortably 38-9 at Pack Lane. In a game that was transferred at half-time from the 1st team pitch to another because of a serious neck injury to one of the visitors forwards, B'stoke took a long time to get into their stride. They went behind to an early penalty and cancelled this out with a Carl Marshall try and conversion by Simon Humberstone. But they seemed intent on trying to shove their way over and scorned a number of kickable penalties instead to go for the corner. At 10-9 early in the second half, the visitors were very much in the game and if a couple of passes went to hand, Stoke would have been in danger of losing this game, but finally they got their act together and a superb line taken by Simon Buckland resulted in a try under the posts for the work horse of the pack Russell Northcote, which Simon Humberstone converted to make it 17-9. This was the end of the resistence of Oxford and Stoke upped the pace and scored further tries by Simon Appleby, Andy Wilson and our Norwegian International Ollie Rogers, fresh back from their win over...here goes..Azerbaijan. Simon Humberstone finished with a haul of five conversions and a penalty. So B'stoke stay in fourth place. The one other game in the league saw Maidenhead beat Penryn 42-11.

Next week at home to Reading Abbey, who will be stronger opposition than Stoke have had for the last three games. They will have to be a lot sharper all round and take the chances when offered.

Unashamedly stolen from http://www.basingstokerfc.com
JonnyC

Round up

by Rich H on Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:08 pm

Done!

What a bloody awful website that is to navigate. The Basingstoke one, that is. Not this one, of course, which is lovely.
Rich H

Reading IV's

by gabriel on Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:28 pm

I am delighted to hear that the Reading IV now have their own rugby team. This is the first definitive proof that numbers have grown...to at least XV.
gabriel

by Brendan on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:46 am

Keep up the good work and well done. Was at Abby for the Fat Blokes this year and sent an e-mail to them to say thanks and that we like to see them at home when L.I are away.
There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met.
Brendan

Abbey

by Rich H on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:10 am

On Saturday all three main Reading clubs (Reading, Abbey & 'Ensians) have their first teams on the road. Abbey II's are at home, though, for a league match against Aylesbury which should be worth watching.
Rich H

Return to Old Previews and Reports