Gentlemen's sevens QFs

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

Gentlemen's sevens QFs

by gabriel on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Great matches in the quarter-finals. The coverage is so much better than the Ladies matches. The commentary continues in periods when the women's matches were silent (or rather, inconsequential 'noises off').
Great performances from Fiji and Japan in particular. GB very lucky to win against a dynamic Argentinian team.
gabriel

Re: Gentlemen's sevens QFs

by gabriel on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:29 am

Fantastic final and bronze play-off. Fiji and South Africa were so impressive.
It was sad to see so many empty seats all the way through the men's and women's rugby. Unusually the BBC commentary was poor to middling. They clearly didn't take it seriously.
gabriel

by dom_pedro on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:06 am

I also thought the BBC commentary was poor. I cannot understand why Sir Clive Woodward was supposed to be the "expert". I did enjoy his attempts to pronounce the French captain Bouhraoua's name though. While Eddie Butler's attempts sounded great, Woodward could only manage "BruWahWah"!
This cruel country has driven me down, teased me and lied.
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by gabriel on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:17 am

The most disturbing thing, apart from Clive Woodward, was the myriad empty seats at the matches. I'd have loved to be there.
gabriel

by AlecW on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:17 pm

I'm afraid it was the same in pretty much every event. Tickets too expensive for the Rio locals to want to pay. Profiteering by the prawn sandwich brigade. It was noticeable that the free (or near-free) events attracted big, enthusiastic crowds (e.g. the Triathlon on Copacabana beach).

A colleague of mine (who was there and who knows of which he talks) said this morning that the Paralympics was going to be a disaster - total apathy from the Brazilians, no money (all spent on the stuff we've been watching for the last 16/17 days), creaking facilities, no sponsorship, you name it. Very, very sad. Given a month or two's notice, I reckon London could put something together...

Lot of stories about poor wiring, plumbing, food and general sanitation in the Olympic Village as well - which is why so many athletes chose to move out.

Still - I enjoyed every minute of it and am now looking forward to getting some sleep!
AlecW
AlecW

Return to General Rugby Messageboard