On this day in

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

On this day in

by PaulHP on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:19 am

1916 - Ronald Fitz-Maurice Geary of the 1st Surrey Rifles was killed in France.

He played as a wing three-quarter for London Irish for two seasons, and scored a try against the Middlesex Hospital in January 1914.

He was educated at Liscard High School, Balham Grammar School and Bedford Grammar School.

He joined the Officer Training Corps whilst at Bedford. He won a scholarship to Oxford University.

At the outbreak of WW1 he joined the Artist's RIfles, obtaining a commission to the London Regiment (2nd Surrey Rifles) in September 1914. In July 1915 he transferred to the 1st Battalion of the Surrey Rifles. He took part in the Battle of Loos where he was badly gassed. He was recommended for the Military Cross.

In January 1916 he was shot in the head and instantly killed by a sniper whilst carrying out dangerous observation work. He is buried in the MAROC British Cemetery in Grenay (Pas de Calais), France. Second Lieutenant Ronald Fitz-Maurice Geary. He played as a wing three-quarter for London Irish for two seasons, and scored a try against the Middlesex Hospital in January 1914.
PaulHP
Site Admin

Re: On this day in

by dom_pedro on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:58 am

Nice research as always Paul.
This cruel country has driven me down, teased me and lied.
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

Return to General Rugby Messageboard