We win another match!

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

We win another match!

by gabriel on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:08 pm

It certainly wasn't stylish, but it was exciting! The finale was as exciting as I have seen in nearly 20 years of attending LI matches. Reminded me of the Irish Grand Slam winner at the Millenium.
gabriel

Re: We win another match!

by PGT on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Competition time (no prize, just the satisfaction of knowing): When was the last time LI won a home match with a drop goal?
PGT

by gabriel on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:52 pm

I don't remember it ever happening. Certainly not with the last kick of the match.
gabriel

by gabriel on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:52 pm

And there is even a clip of the magnificent kick up on BT Sport. I have watched it several times. And will do again!
http://bit.ly/1y4Z5jG
gabriel

by PGT on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:47 pm

Admittedly not the last kick of the game, but I seem to recall Conor O'Shea winning a midweek home game at Sunbury (possibly Leicester) in the mid/late 90's but I can't find any results to check. I discussed this with Kieran McCarthy (who was probably sat in the dugout) and he also recalled in happening. Can anyone else recollect the game in question, or am I just imagining it?
PGT

by PaulHP on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:28 am

Patrick

It was the only time I went to a mid-week match by train, and luckily made the last train home from Liverpool Street.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 79698.html

Yer Man, the Irish captain Conor O'Shea, cool as you like dropped a goal in the first minute of injury time just when Leicester thought they had nicked it with a sucker punch by Leicester scrum-half Austin Healey.
PaulHP
Site Admin

by PGT on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Well done yer Man, if anyone could find the match I knew it would be you; amazing 16-years years ago and not least look at the the teams playing then.
PGT

Return to General Rugby Messageboard