New Owners

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

New Owners

by PaulHP on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:51 pm

BBC London News has just said that London Irish have called a press conference for tomorrow, to announce that the club will be taken over by a group of Irish businessmen.
PaulHP
Site Admin

Re: New Owners

by Hillbilly on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:23 pm

This is really great news. Mick Crossan has been a long term supporter and sponsor of LI pros and amateurs. He genuinely has the interests of LI at heart and will I assume take over the club as a debt free enterprise following the Hazelwood purchase/Avenue sale reconciliation.

We have had the smallest squad and lowest playing budget in the perm for several years now as well as the smallest support staff so I expect there will be some investment in this area to strengthen us going forward. Hopefully we can do enough now to avoid the drop in May and move into next season with a much stronger playing base.

The issue with regard the ground is an interesting one. All the clubs that are making money in the Premiership own their grounds and that is no co-incidence. If the new owners under Mick Crossan conclude that moving forwards the club needs its own ground then a ground share with Brentford is not really a step forward even if we went in as co-owners. We need to be masters of our own destiny. So maybe instead we could buy the old Brentford ground (when they move to their new place) or other similar site in West London near to the M4.

Exciting times ahead.
Hillbilly

by PaulHP on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Peter,

There is a football ground which will soon be going spare in East London, with excellent train connections for all you folk out your way....can we make an Irish song out of I'm for ever blowing bubbles? :lol:

It will be strange, our club actually having money...as you say exciting times ahead.
PaulHP
Site Admin

by dom_pedro on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:24 am

Great news if the new owners do pump some much needed money in, but I'm not exactly overjoyed by the idea of the home matches moving away from Reading whether that be to West or East London.
This cruel country has driven me down, teased me and lied.
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by dom_pedro on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:36 am

It's official -
http://london-irish.com/news/Dawn-of-a- ... ish/95212/
The new owners have committed substantial new funds to the club that will be used:
- To further invest in the new Centre of Excellence at Hazelwood;
- To strengthen the professional playing squad;
- To re-invigorate the club’s Academy by developing new players from Berkshire, Hampshire and the London Irish amateur club;
- To invest in experienced management and support staff.
This cruel country has driven me down, teased me and lied.
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

Return to General Rugby Messageboard