The late Cliff Morgan

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

The late Cliff Morgan

by gabriel on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:19 pm

I was enormously saddened, like many many others, to learn of the death of Seamus Heaney. I first heard him read in the Glens of Antrim Hotel with, Michael Longley and Davy Hammond,in 1968. The passing of another great man last week also saddened me. I was too young ever to see him play but his programme at 9.15am on Saturday morning on Radio 4 was a consistent delight for very many years.

BBC Wales broadcast a lovely tribute to him last week and it is on iPlayer at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... hievement/

It includes praise from ex-London Irish player Tony O'Reilly and is narrated by Des Lynham. Don't miss the very end of it!
gabriel

Re: The late Cliff Morgan

by AlecW on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:04 pm

I used to love Sport on Four as well... A great player and a great broadcaster.

Seamus Heaney was not bad either...!!!
AlecW
AlecW

Re: The late Cliff Morgan

by Chunty on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:06 pm

I was extremely privileged to be asked to attend his funeral by his daughter. Cliff and his wife Pat did a lot to support and assist my fire station with the various charity fund-raising activities we've taken on over the past few years. A colleague and myself attended the funeral in the modest Bembridge parish church and were treated like royalty for attending although I felt a bit dwarfed standing alongside some of the sports greats. As well as the very moving ceremony there were some very amusing anecdotes particularly those dropped in during Gareth Edwards speech.

Cliff was a fantastic fellar that I feel very privileged to have known, rest in peace.
Chunty

Return to General Rugby Messageboard