New players - one Irish, one London Irish

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

New players - one Irish, one London Irish

by gabriel on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:55 am

You'll have seen the news on the Official site about our two new backs, Eamon Sheridan and Fergus Mulchrone.

"Sheridan is a former Ireland U18 and U20 International who was previously part of the Leinster squad. At 6’4” and 108kgs he is a physical presence with the ability to play at both inside and outside centre.

Mulchrone, who is over 6ft and weighs close to 100kgs, can play at outside centre, wing and full back and has previously played for Sale Sharks. He rates scoring two tries for Sale Sharks against London Irish as his rugby highlight."

But I also came across this, rather strange piece, in the Macclesfield Express:
"The son of a London Irish stalwart and brother of Charlie Mulchrone, who was a schoolboy Irish international, Fergus was never the star of the memorable St Ambrose College side, which won the North West Floodlit club in 2005."

http://menmedia.co.uk/macclesfieldexpre ... ale_sharks
gabriel

Re: New players - one Irish, one London Irish

by dom_pedro on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 pm

The phrase "never the star" was confusing me but reading the full report you get some context that was missing in the fact that although apparently he wasn't the standout player in the squad he applied himself and worked hard.

Another signing announced today as Michael Mayhew joins from Newcastle:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22107536
Newcastle Falcons hooker Michael Mayhew will join London Irish on a three-year deal at the end of the 2012-13 season. The 26-year-old Kiwi, who played in 30 Falcons games, joined the Exiles on a loan deal in January and went on to make two Premiership appearances.
This cruel country has driven me down, teased me and lied.
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by dom_pedro on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Myles Dorrian signs from Exeter: http://www.london-irish.com/news/Irish90910.ink

Dorrian, who is currently on loan at Championship side Bedford Blues, is able to play fly half, centre or full back. The 30-year-old has made nine appearances for Exeter during his time at the club. The agile back was born in Sydney, Australia where he spent time with both the Brumbies and Waratahs before making the trip across to Europe.
London Irish Director of Rugby, Brian Smith said: “I’ve followed Myles’ career since he was at the Brumbies with Pat Phibbs. He’s a seasoned professional with a great attitude and work ethic. Myles understands the game and has the ability to make things happen and he’ll provide even more experience as a play caller.”
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by gabriel on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:04 pm

This all sounds good. None of them are big names - we can't afford big names according to the financial results in the papers for the company's AGM!

But Brian Smith is a good judge of players. He has recruited well for us in the past and will be doing so this time. I can't help but fell however that we need one or two big solid South Africans to put some backbone, guts and determination nto the team.

Do also need a captain that can do the job on and off the pitch?
gabriel

by Loobs on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:16 pm

One club captain needs to be appointed. One who is up for the role as opposed to reluctant seniority. Defence must be a huge priority in the off season but I can't help but think that next season will be yet another transition season.
Loobs

by AlecW on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Loobs - I have it on good authority that Skivington is to be Captain next season...

Excellent choice, say I...!!!

:D
AlecW
AlecW

by gabriel on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:57 pm

That would be a good choice!
I'm impressed by the identification of new talent that is going on. The signing of three from Leicester looks good. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22215447
gabriel

by Loobs on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 am

I'm really pleased to hear that a bit of cheating tigger steel will be at the helm next season. George has shown himself to be a leader on the field.
Loobs

by dom_pedro on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Two more are off to the Wreck - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22299416
Bath have signed Anthony Watson and David Sisi from Premiership rivals London Irish. The England Under-20 duo will join the Rec outfit for the start of next season's campaign. Back-rower Sisi, 20, made his first-team debut for the Exiles against Sale in the LV= Cup in November 2010, and has since made 12 appearances. Full-back Watson, 19, has started 16 games for Irish this season, scoring four tries.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by gabriel on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 pm

It is a bit depressing that so many are going to Bath. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for trophies there however. A major priority for next season is to finish above them in the table.
gabriel

by Loobs on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:07 am

Bath currently look like a Gary Gold/Toby Booth team. I see no reason that will change for next season. Dull rugby, with a mixture of results awaits the Rec supporters. No plan B when It all starts to go wrong and other familiar stories will no doubt emerge, despite now having a budget to play with.
Loobs

by AlecW on Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 am

A major priority for next season is to finish above them in the table

Don't know about you, Gabriel, but for me, after the current woeful season, a major priority for next season is to finish above anyone in the table! :shock:
AlecW
AlecW

by gabriel on Fri May 03, 2013 4:59 pm

I guess I am forever optimistic. That's why I do so badly in the prediction leagues. I have great faith in Brian Smith to pull together a tighter and higher performing squad. My fingers are firmly crossed.
gabriel

by Loobs on Tue May 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Alec, you are not wrong...
Loobs

Return to General Rugby Messageboard