Will Welsh be docked points?

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

Will Welsh be docked points?

by dom_pedro on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:54 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21595254

RFU defers decision on London Welsh playing Tyson Keats
London Welsh must wait to learn whether they will be charged with fielding an ineligible player in Premiership games after the decision was deferred.

Following a Rugby Football Union hearing on Tuesday, the panel will "consider their decision which will be communicated in due course".

The precedents suggest that they will lose points (Tigers, Sale and Exeter) and although I have some sympathy for them I can't help feeling that it's only fair that they be docked points (I'm aware though that I probably don't have all the facts).

More details on the Torygraph site - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... rship.html

The hearing ran for six hours on Tuesday but had not even reached the point where the three-member panel had retired to consider their verdict. It could yet run into tomorrow and Welsh may even have to wait longer than that to discover the outcome as the chairman of the Rugby Football Union disciplinary panel, Jeremy Summers, is thought to want to delay the verdict until he publishes his written reasons for reaching it.

The case centres on the charge that Welsh did not correctly register their New Zealand-born scrum-half, Tyson Keats, before the start of the season.

The RFU had finished summing up when proceedings adjourned but the panel were still hearing from Welsh. Earlier, three witnesses had appeared on behalf of the club: chief executive Tony Copsey, vice-chairman John Taylor and Steve Lewis. They were represented by Tom Richards, of Blackstone Chambers, who also represented the club when they won their case against Premiership Rugby to win promotion to the top flight.
This cruel country has driven me down, teased me and lied.
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

Re: Will Welsh be docked points?

by PaulHP on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 pm

They will make Welsh suffer just because they had the nerve to take them to court over their promotion.
PaulHP
Site Admin

by dom_pedro on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Oh dear - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21674783

London Welsh have been deducted five points and fined £15,000 for fielding ineligible player Tyson Keats.
A further five-point deduction is suspended until the end of next season and will only be activated if the club breach regulations again during that period.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by Loobs on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 am

I have to say that I'm not as bothered as others seem to be that a legal decision may well decide the relegated team this season. Welsh were happy. To accept the findings of a coirt to get them into the AP but not happy to accept a decision not in their favour.

Calling themselves Exiles irks me more if I'm honest.

A win today at the Madge and our fate is truly in our hands.
Loobs

by dom_pedro on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am

Just playing devil's advocate here but aren't London Welsh an older club? What exactly is it that irks you about them also having the nickname "Exiles". London Scottish (an even older club) are also known as the Exiles by the way.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by Shawshank on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Pleased that the bunch of chancers have been booted down to the nether regions - they were the worst advert for promotion/relegation, unlike Exeter who were the best (or dare I say Cornish Pirates if they could finally win the Championship).

I agree with Loobs about Exiles - when the 'mother' country is physically joined to the 'New' country it makes a nonsense of the word Exiles...

Basically London Welsh are as much Exiles as are the slave traders from across the Bristol Channel playing at the Mem...
Shawshank

by dom_pedro on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:52 am

Sounds like desperate management - http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-20 ... 80649.html

A report in the Evening Standard claims London Welsh have lost around £4 million over the last two seasons and face making massive cuts following their almost inevitable relegation from the Aviva Premiership. The report says the club lost £1.8 million in 2011-12, the season they gained promotion, and added expenses in 2012-13 have seen that annual deficit rise to £2.2 million despite increased TV, sponsorship and gate revenues.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by Loobs on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Speaking to some of the Welsh supporters yesterday, their animosity towards the Kazzam was far more than our lot about the Madejski.

Aside from that, I was really disappointed that the adults who were in attendance with the kids from Mold RFC were happy that their charges were behaving as they were, turning to the Irish supporters around them and giving them the Losers! Treatment when LW went ahead.

DP, they aren't Exiles, they're Over The Bridge-ers
Loobs

Return to General Rugby Messageboard