Heritage range of shirts

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

Heritage range of shirts

by gabriel on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:24 pm

I got a tiny bit excited when I saw the new heritage range of shirts that the Club and LISC have produced. In fact I showed it to the Mammy in the hope that she would get me one for Christmas. http://www.london-irish.com//news/Irish81115.ink

She rather took the wind out of my sails by pointing in a forthright fashion ("Heritage my arse!" to be precise) that the badge was the adulteration that some smart marketeer came up with a few years ago. The sword was turned from red to black. Apparently because "It looked nicer". Never mind centuries of history of this being London's emblem. I'm a little surprised at the usually very correct LISC for letting the club away with this as 'heritage'.
Last edited by gabriel on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gabriel

Re: Heritage range of shirts

by PaulHP on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:50 am

Makes you wonder who's heritage they are remembering as it clearly isn't our clubs. Maybe they can try again and actually look at some of the photo's around Sunbury (although a large majority of the older ones seem to have been taken down) and actually look at the shirts the club have worn. I have never seen a picture of a London Irish player wearing an emerald green shirt with white cuffs, let alone with that trademark badge.

How much heritage is in a Heritage Hoodie?

It is a shame that the professional club fail to sell LIRAFC shirts, and help to support them in that little way. Now they have the correct badge the correct shade of green.
PaulHP
Site Admin

by gabriel on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:23 pm

A while ago Tony came up with a site, in France, that sold an authentic replica of the ?first Irish international shirt. Brilliant! Now that is 'heritage'.
http://www.sports-depoque.com/rugby/our ... _vert.html

What did the first London Irish shirt look like? What did Spike Milligan's LI shirt look like? Now those would be heritage!
gabriel

by PaulHP on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Plenty of heritage shirts here (Sorry Tony :wink: ):

I have a reasonably clear picture of the 1898-9 team and will try and put a couple close ups of the shirts up when I get home from work.
PaulHP
Site Admin

by PaulHP on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:07 pm

The 1899 shirt with a shamrock badge looked like this worn by C.L. Townsend and the orginal Bob Casey:

And from around Spike Milligan's playing days, Charles Reidy with a massive LI badge and the team wore stripy socks:

And the ball was smooth leather :D
PaulHP
Site Admin

by James LI on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Ahhhh! I remember those smooth leather balls only too well.

Bloody heavy when wet!
Passion in Exile
James LI

by Tony Byrne on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks for that Paul, can't remember where it was taken,( early 60's) but may have been an 'A' team game or a Sunday invitation game, as we are wearing our own shirts; all players had to have at least 1 shirt. It was only in the 1st and Geese games that club supplied a shirt. The reason why, the picture shows so many different shades of green, was that club had different outlets where you could purchase your shirt and they were not all the same manufacture, also some of the shirts came with a badge already mounted and some came with a seperate badge that had to be sown on and the badges were different sizes also players had to supply there own socks and from memory I think shorts. The hooped socks did not last very long, they were not popular.
The Geese shirts were a bit dfferent in that above /below the club badge was a goose in flight, it was also the shirt worn by the club when on tour.
One of my shirts was washed so many times it was it was only a hint of green and I recall once being asked by a ref. to change it as opposition were playing in white, in fact it may have been the shirt in the photo as the collar of it was torn I never got it repaired.
Tony Byrne

by Tony Byrne on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:41 am

Chatting with an old mate ( ex player ) , he reminded me that the Wild Geese shirt only had a flying goose on it and no London Irish badge. He also said the shirt was blue, but I must admit I don't recall that as we only had it for a couple of seasons and it was along time ago.
Tony Byrne

by PaulHP on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:57 am

There is another new range of Heritage shirts, this time in the name of Louis Magee. They have invented a new badge:

Unfortunately, they appear that they are doing the rugby shirt with a navy body and green sleeves. As far as I know Louis Magee never wore a navy shirt. If they wanted to do a tribute shirt to Louis, why didn't they do a green shirt with Bective Rangers sleeves?

http://www.london-irish.com/h/the-club/louis-magee/229/
PaulHP
Site Admin

by PaulHP on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:00 am

They presented his grandson Louis Magee a green shirt with navy sleeves recently (which looks better IMHO despite the navy):

PaulHP
Site Admin

by gabriel on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:42 am

I'd like one of those plain shirts with the oversized badges please!
Can the LISC get a supply organised by the time it gets warm enough to wear it without a large coat over the top?
gabriel

Return to General Rugby Messageboard