Post-match: London Irish 19-0 Newcastle Falcons

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

Post-match: London Irish 19-0 Newcastle Falcons

by dom_pedro on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:33 pm

Post your after match comments here please (Paul should be rounding up the reports on this thread too).

I'm pretty pleased with that result though a couple more tries would have been very nice. Not letting Falcons bag even a point if a very good day's work even if there attack looked a little limited. We kept them pegged back in their own half during the second 40 minutes and really should have had more than just 3 points but very solid tactics keeping them down towards the South End.

Ireland was solid again, Delon more mature, Staunton a little more on the pace and some nice kicks to touch (and some not and some poor place kicking), Geraghty maybe not 100% fit stilland Hodgson played well. The forwards were effective in the scrums and lineouts it seemed to me (I'm a bit clueless there to be honest though) and I think Faan was given man of the match (top quality beard too - though can't work out whether Chuter's facial hair is even more impressive).

Enjoyed the afternoon out with my two little ones though seemed like a low crowd, but I think I was expecting that.
Last edited by dom_pedro on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
This cruel country has driven me down, teased me and lied.
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by PaulHP on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:44 pm

SMITH SEES A MISSED OPPORTUNITY

"But I wouldn't think too many of the backs were happy with that performance. Our boys are better than that and we expect more from them."

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/ ... uotes.html

Planet Rugby

Irish back to winning ways

Youngster Shane Geraghty returned to inspire London Irish to a 19-0 victory over Newcastle Falcons at the Madejski Stadium on Sunday.

The talented 21-year-old fly-half provided the spark Irish lacked in last weekend's opening-day defeat by Harlequins, as they dominated a poor Newcastle side.

His beautifully executed side-step split the visiting defence open to produce the opening try in the 18th minute.

http://www.planet-rugby.com/Story/0,182 ... 37,00.html
PaulHP
Site Admin

by CharlieG on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:40 am

There's an old saying in rugby
The forwards determine who wins, the backs determine the winning margin.
This match was a classic example of that.

Our forwards totally dominated Newcastle, keeping the game in their half, and preventing them getting on the scoreboard. The backs were unable to capitalise on that domination.

At least we won, but we really should have had a bonus point.
CharlieG

by ascotintheantipodes on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:56 am

After a very shakey start to the season, a solid win against Newcastle sounded pretty good to me - bonus point or not .
I only got to listen to the 2nd half which sounded pretty uninspiring but if the first half was as good as reported,
and with the potential to be better still, then I think you may be in for an interesting season.
Hope they can build on this - and no reason why they cant
ascotintheantipodes

Return to General Rugby Messageboard