The Lions Series: The Refereeing Decisions

Welcome to the Sunbury Centre at www.london-irish.co.uk for news and information on London Irish RFC ...

Moderators: Brian W, dom_pedro, PaulHP

The Lions Series: The Refereeing Decisions

by PGT on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 pm

I thought SC participants might find the following articles from the RugbyReferee.net Blog interesting:

The SB-W red card - http://rugbyreferee.net/2017/07/01/blog ... -red-card/

That decision - http://rugbyreferee.net/2017/07/09/all- ... -changing/

So now you know, or maybe not; who'd be a referee!
PGT

Re: The Lions Series: The Refereeing Decisions

by dom_pedro on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:23 am

I thought the red card was spot on ... not sure whether Mako should also have had a red later on.

The offside at the end of the 3rd test was odd. I thought that if it was a knock-on then it had to be a penalty as he clearly goes to grab (or play) the ball, but having seen the video again it doesn't actually look like a knock-on at all.
This cruel country has driven me down, teased me and lied.
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died.
dom_pedro
Site Admin

Re: The Lions Series: The Refereeing Decisions

by PGT on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:13 pm

No doubt about the SB-W red card, a referee of my acquaintance called it immediately. I think the Mako incident was marginal, and Garces decided that correctly, even if his TMO was trying valiantly to get him to take another look.

The third test decision was interesting particularly when viewed in the context of the discussion that follows the article I posted earlier. I guess it will be one that divides opinion, depending on what the colour of your shirt is, for years to come. All of this simply goes to prove how lucky we are to have referees, the difficult job they have and the decisions they have to make, which with empathy for the game and its participants they get right more times than not.
PGT

Return to General Rugby Messageboard